DNJournal‘s latest Top 20 chart of domain sales prices is shown below.
Fly.com leads the list with an amazing $1,760,000 sale. The domain was brokered by Sedo and bought by TravelZoo, a publicly listed company. TravelZoo plans to use the domain to launch a travel search engine later this month.
Brian Clark, senior vice president and general manager at Travelzoo, said:
« We are delighted to acquire fly.com for our new offering. The name is a perfect match for Travelzoo’s renowned approach: simple, fun, and world class. Where others see doom and gloom we see opportunities to serve travelers and advertisers with innovative approaches to finding the best values in travel. »
This sale, in combination with YP.com selling for $3,850,000, as well as several other high ticket sales that remained unreported, will serve as a timely reminder to owners of premium domains not to sell their domains too low. (December’s $300,000 sale of SC.com to Standard Chartered Bank comes to mind.)
Other noteworthy sales include:
- Roulette.it for $30,000 (the domain is still in escrow, but it was probably bought by a casino or casino affiliate)
- Fired.com for $20,600 (seems a bit much; it’s a catchy term but what are they going to use it for?)
- Miami.us for $15,000 (looks like a steal, even for a .us domain)
- Ergo-Direct.com for $12,000 (this domain was bought by German company ERGO Versicherungsgruppe AG, which already owns and uses Ergo.com, but not ErgoDirect.com)
- WirelessHeadphones.com for $9,000 (the domain was sold to a domainer and the price seems just right)
Top Domain Sales Jan 19 – Feb 1, 2009